Experienced Legal Representation That Works With Your Finances

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Family Law & Divorce
  4.  → Why your ex’s rejection of a pay raise should concern you

Why your ex’s rejection of a pay raise should concern you

On Behalf of | Mar 16, 2021 | Family Law & Divorce |

Most people think that they’ve weathered the worst part of a dissolution of marriage or child custody dispute once a Mississippi judge signs off on their divorce decree or parenting plan.

While that’s generally the case, there are some things that can reopen old issues and lead to a modification of support. One of those is when your ex declines a pay raise, which may warrant you requesting a modification in your already adjudicated case. 

Why would your ex decline receiving a pay increase?

Many individuals work hard in hopes of receiving a raise but never see one, so you may wonder what would motivate your ex to reject it if their employer made such an offer. Your former spouse or co-parent may do so to remain eligible for specific government benefits or to avoid taxes assessed to individuals belonging to a higher tax bracket. Your ex may also decline a raise to avoid the chances of them owing more in child support or alimony. 

Employers may face penalties for helping employees avoid support obligations

It’s not unheard of for workers to ask their employer to underreport their income or pay them on the side to avoid disclosing their full salary or a raise. Any ex-spouse or co-parent who does this may face criminal charges for making such a request. They may also lose custody of their kids, especially if their employer can provide documentation showing the employee’s declined a raise. An employer may also face both civil and criminal penalties for their part in such an illicit scheme.

What steps you should take if your ex declines a raise

Many Mississippi ex-spouses or co-parents don’t want to part ways with their assets, so they hide their assets or engage in other impropriety in hopes that no one will take note of what they’ve done. An attorney can help you identify whether your ex engaged in illicit activity and help you petition a judge for a modification.